Monday, September 15, 2008

1000 words

I debated on using that picture of the kids or finding another one for our header. Finding another one would have involved changing computers or getting out my external drive and transferring pics onto my laptop. Yes, folks, I have only one cute picture of all 4 kids on my laptop. And yes, it was too much work to do any of the above so I kept that picture for now.

The serious pros for changing the picture is that despite the aching cuteness of the kids, there are other less desirable features of that particular snapshot. Then, thought I, why not embrace the undesirable? Why not show our true selves? Why find a photo that is without blemish? And, more to the truth, is that even possible?

And so, it is with relish that I turn your attention to the picture above whilst I take it apart. Learn about us what you can.

First, breathtakingly cute children, right? First day of school for two oldest. 3rd and 2nd grades! Do I even need to add all the trite "I can't believe how fast they grow!" comments? Littlest girl is almost five and has already claimed that school lunch bottle as her own. Baby boy is nine months old and the center of every one's attention. So, cuteness covered right?

There are empty pots that I could claim had beautiful annuals in them all season long but since school starts in August and not November I doubt you would believe me. So, I didn't get around to planting flowers this year. I blame a trip to Colorado in late June that would have resulted in dead flowers by the time we got home anyway and a cheapness that is bone deep. A cheapness that refused to let me buy flowers that were past their prime at the stores in July. So, to sum up, I was too lazy/busy/cheap to pot flowers this year.

There is a slightly askew stroller carelessly set down after one of a hundred trips to the park, mall, playgroup, sidewalk, etc ad nauseam. We had a busy and happy summer but once we were home we couldn't be bothered with putting the stroller away in the garage. Many times I just threw it in the back of the van in preparation for the next outing, but it found a home there on the porch for the better part of the summer.

Notice the homemade Huskers sign? That's right, we are proud Husker fans. Power of the red and all that. Still hoping that this is the season we make a comeback. Tee's family is from Nebraska and they are as hardcore as it gets. Screaming at the T.V., cussing at the calls, game-watching parties. Especially when they are all together. I will never forget Tee's Mom asking them to keep it down because oldest girl was taking a nap. THAT did not go over well. As for me, I am a Husker alumnus and spent many hours in a tiny graduate student office that overlooked the stadium. Once I heard the roar of the pre-recorded crowd that the football team practiced to, I was hooked. Those were part of the winning years too, 1997-1999. Good times.

There is an overall feeling of not-doneness to the porch, wouldn't you say? Last year, I painted the trim that wonderful rust color that never ever should have been painted over in the first place. (Looking at you previous owners! When you painted over the perfect color for the trim on the house could you have at least not slopped your nasty forest green paint everywhere?) Ahem. On the docket for this year was to paint the white bricks which continue around the garage a nice tan color to tie the house together. But yeah that hasn't happened yet. But! I still get points for painting the trim last year. Did I mention I was pregnant at the time?

The cement needs work or maybe even sandblasted and the patched together corner (previous owners!) of the grow box (again with the no flowers) should really be made more presentable. Oh and don't tell Tee but I keep slowly getting rid of the petrified wood. Ugly ugly stuff, that.

Whew, I think I even learned something about us. Wanna know what I learned? Sure you do. I learned that none of that negative stuff really matters. So our porch isn't perfect, so what? Everyone knows there are much worse living conditions.

What does matter is that we have a peaceful, loving home with happy kids. Funny, energetic and smart kids, too. Not to mention a strong, loving and respect-filled marriage to keep it all together.

Life is very very good.

3 comments:

Memmotts said...

Your porch is perfect because it is home. and I'll have to agree, your kids are very adorable.

Brenda said...

Hey Sam! Going to check out your site now.

Jessica said...

So while our blog has the same layout, yours is so much more fun to read! And your kids are absolutely beautiful, and so big! The not-so-perfect porch screams happy busy family. Not to mention it adds more character... right?